12 November 2012

With Apologies to Mumford & Sons




But tell me now where was my fault, in loving you with my whole heart? They told me that you wouldn’t survive – that your life would be short and hard at best.  I knew that.  I thought that I knew that.  But your tiny heart had been below mine for your whole life. How could I not give you the chance to see the light of day?  And the nurses were perfect. And the doctors were sympathetic. And they put a sign outside our door – something to tell the people in the hallway that we were here – enjoying our first and last moments together in this hour.  And as I feel your lungs taking their labored breaths; as I see my mother, my husband, my in-laws; as I want the sunshine on your face, on my face – I wonder if I did this for you, or for me…

Original here

No comments: