29 November 2010

Christmas Mix Tape for You!

I made you a Christmas mix tape. Except, you are out there, and I am in here. I'd send it to you, but knowing me, you'd get it around Easter. I tried to put it on iTunes, if you want to download it (and if it works, I'll post it here)(okay, that sort of worked, but cut a few songs - boo). In the meantime, I've posted videos when YouTube cooperates. Otherwise, stop by and get one. I've got my reel to reel cassette player all queued up...

Peace On Earth / Little Drummer Boy - Bing Crosby and David Bowie
Imagination - Gregory Douglass
  • Lovely, lovely. And there is a video available here. Buy all of his cds. He is terrific (and I met him when he was about the age he is in some of those photos).
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Annie Lennox
  • Best.Christmas.Album.Ever. Video here. (It was a toss up between this and As Joseph Went A Walking, which she also does, but I am so in love with that video that it won).
Snow - Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye & Bing Crosby
  • From White Christmas. Video here. (I love that the "snow" sign on the poster looks like the logo for my hometown).
The 12 Days of Christmas - Straight No Chaser
  • Here it is. A sentimental favorite from my few months living in Indiana.
I Saw Three Ships - Barenaked Ladies
  • I really, really love that song. (fuzzy live version here)
Mele Kalikimaka - The Puppini Sisters We Need a Little Christmas - Johnny Mathis
  • Because though I haven't "grown a little leaner," I have "grown a little colder, grown a little sadder, grown a little older and I need a little angel sitting on my shoulder..." ("video" of Christmas cards with this song as the background).
A' Soalin' - Peter, Paul & Mary
  • My high school computer teacher sang this with her husband at our Christmas assembly one year. It's really quite something.
The Holly & The Ivy - Mediaeval Baebes
  • My favorite Christmas song for some reason.("video")
Lo! How A Rose E'er Blooming - Sufjan Stevens
  • Buy this cd for the packaging. It comes with stickers! ("video")
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Sixpence None The Richer
  • I'm sure that I first heard this on Grey's Anatomy or some equally embarrassing show. Still a good song. ("video")
Sugar Rum Cherry (Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy) - Duke Ellington
  • Just perfect. This is what I wanted the Pink Martini Christmas cd to sound like, which it sadly did not.(video of The U.S. Army Blues Band playing it)
O Holy Night - Tracy Chapman
  • The only recording of this song that hasn't made me want to tear my ears off.(live version here)
Christmas Time Is Here - Diana Krall
  • I (heart) The Charlie Brown Christmas Special.(I couldn't find Ms. Krall's version on the internets for you, so here's the original)
Wintersong - Sarah McLachlan Noel: Christmas Eve, 1913 - John Denver & The Muppets
  • There will be no mocking my love for John Denver. And after almost three decades, the line "and they knew they could not tell whether it were angels or the bright stars were singing" still gives me chills.(this says "lip synch version" but it's the only video of it that I can find)
Christmas Card From Hooker In Minneapolis - Tom Waits
  • Not strictly Christmas-y, but still awesome. ("video")
O Tannenbaum - Vince Guaraldi Trio
  • Wonderful. But now I want a Christmas tree. here again is the Christmas Special video, with apologies for the ad.

1 comment:

medusa said...

I found the Sex in 12 Acts mix tape the other day. It still rocks!