11 September 2011

A Thought for Today



So here we are, ten years later. I remember days when I couldn’t believe that we would reach this anniversary – when the idea of peace and normal life seemed so foreign as to be entirely inconceivable. And yet, today arrived, bright and clear – I went to church (I know, hard to believe), went to the farmers' market and spent too much on flowers and blackberries, cleaned my house, and am now settling down to edit some materials for a non-profit for which I volunteer. Which I think is the victory of this day – that I can spend it in so mundane a way.

I am not a particularly religious person. I don’t frequently attend church – in this town, it’s hard to forgive the hierarchy of men who put the face of their organization ahead of the safety, health and wellbeing of children. But on days like this, of mourning and remembrance, I go to where my family has gone for comfort for hundreds of years; to listen to the words – to the Word, if you will – and try not fixate on the man in the front delivering the message. The theme of the readings at mass today was forgiveness, which I found very moving and appropriate.

So today, I give you something new for this site, a quote from the Bible. It’s from Sirach, chapter 28:

“Should a man refuse mercy to his fellows, yet seek pardon for his own sins? If he who is but flesh cherishes wrath, who will forgive his sins? Remember your last days, set enmity aside…”

A good thing to keep in mind on this day.

No comments: