20 January 2012

Xanadu - the live blog



post facto explanation - long, long ago, after watching Bring it On V, and Repo, the Genetic Opera, my friend the Loon and I decided that we must have a viewing of Xanadu. Last night, we were joined by Allentown contingent aml by Skype, and by a lot of wine. This is what followed:

6:30 me: wait, there are two DVDs for this?

(pause for Vietnamese food)

8:27 aml is moving a sofa to watch this movie.

8:33 we have synced with Allentown. (sort of.) The screen is showing paradise. L would have brought an English horn to this paradise...

8:36 I'm guessing there is not a lot of angst in this movie. Angst and roller skates do not go. - aml

8:37 high waisted pants and a girl on roller skates falling from the sky; isn't that just Thursday? - L

8:43 we chose this, as a society. -aml

8:44 - Gene Kelly? What happened to you? -aml

8:49 Wait, when did the guy with Farrah hair get roller skates? - L (are you suggesting that this movie doesn't have accurate continuity? -aml)

8:55 let's pause and remember that somebody wrote this. - aml

8:58 L would fall for Gene Kelly's "come back to my place and listen to Glenn Miller" line.

We don't know if there's a plot, but there are hairstyles. -L

It's a classic story of boy meets girl. Girl had roller skates. Girl is secretly an alien story? - aml

9:01 Wait. Did his paintings just come to life? - L

9:03 There is so much that's weird about this. -L

9:04 Wait, this isn't a documentary? - me

9:06 aml believes the children are our future. L is pleased with Olivia Newton John's ribbon barrettes.

9:08 and then there umbrellas.

L knows all the words to this song. I no longer feel embarrassed to knowing the score of Newsies.

Wait, and then there were Daleks? - me (note from the next morning - thanks to me trying to type these notes on my iPhone, or to the wine, that originally said "them there were Daleks" which is much, much funnier)

9:25 I've started typing this sentence three times. All I have now is, "um? What?"

9:27 Were there straight men in the 80s?

9:28 this dance sequence is Guys and Dolls directed by Freddie Mercury.

9:35 aml is rebooting - L and I are waving to the video camera and are possibly drunk. L is reading the DVD case and I'm surprised to find that Olivia Newton John is a muse sent to help Farrahhair open a roller disco. Wait, this movie has a plot?

9:43 "are you straight?" - the movie. "that's a great question." - L

9:45 oh my god, there is animation!

(of the lead characters standing in the center of an animated rose) That's some subtle symbolism - L

9:48 is this what happens when Disney animators do too much coke?

9:49 I'm not sure I want to see Gene Kelly have this experience. -aml

9:56 What was that about continuity?

9:57 aml would be happy if a roller skating Olivia Newton John appeared at her desk in the morning.

9:59 Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Mozart, and now Sunny Melone... - aml

10:01 There is no way to get her in that shirt. - L (note from the next morning - L meant that our hero would not have success wooing the girl/muse/alien in the outfit that he had chosen. I think it is also accurate to say that he wouldn't have convinced her to put on that shirt. Both are correct.)

10:03 That is his soulful gaze -L

(of our hero skating into the wall) I knew that was going to happen - aml

Everything's better with gobos. - k

Hey Zeus - the movie

10:06 I'd like this better on Kiera was played by Chris Rock... -me

10:08 - and now for the Tron portion of the evening...

10:11 When I direct this, everyone gets a Farrah wig.

10:12 Oh wait - mimes!

10:13 Apparently, aml was in Bladerunner. Or we've all had some wine...

10:15 I feel like we've been waiting for this moment for the whole movie. -aml

10:17 that's what my father used to do in the circus... - me

10:18 Ow

10:19 Can't we all agree that Olivia Newton John is great, and not make her tap dance? - aml

10:20 And then that happened

10:21 And where do you go, post ho-down? (L suggests Grace Jones, which we agree seems apt...)

10:22 "Is he going to wake up in an opium den now?" - L

"I think i'm going to wake up in an opium den." - me

10:25 Wait, it's over? What?

10:26 aml has Wikipedia'd it, and tells me it is a romantic comedy fantasy and NOT a documentary. I am so disillusioned...

10:28 aml is sending us a very special link...

10:32 aml says that the Broadway musical has angst. L says the leg warmers give her angst.

10:41 - and we're off to bed, but here is the very special link

No comments: